Sunday, February 27, 2011

McDonald's and the Library

Spencer checks the McDonald's Happy Meal website about every other day waiting to see what the next happy meal toy will be, then which toys they will be and what they will do (this is available the week before they come out), and finally when they are available and what the next ones will be.  And so it continues.  I find my kids are generally happy if they have one toy from that group.  Which means we go about once a month.  I know it's unhealthy and honestly McDonald's is my least favorite fast food restaurant when it comes to taste, but it's the place for kids.  My kids get nuggets, milk, and apple slices (which McDonald's substitutes for fries at no extra charge unlike some others...) along with a fun toy (McDonald's kids toys are usually the best made and coolest of the fast food chains) for $3.  And we go to one of the many with a playland so my kids get to run around and play in a safe, warm play area.  So we went this past Friday as our Friday Fun Day Activity.

Spencer is loving his Hot Wheels Fuse Car and Tessa loves her pretty Barbie fairy doll with removable wings.  Spencer used to be scared to go to the top slides, but his little sister isn't scared, so as long as she goes he is no longer scared.  And this time was Clara's first experience on slides as I let her go down the little toddler slide with the kids.  She loved it and Tessa loved letting her slide down on her lap.

It's been about a month since we visited the library and it's right by one of the McDonald's near us, so we tied them both in.  I'm grateful my kids still get excited for the library.  The kids go straight to the "movie" and "tv show" books so I go looking for other books without characters they know.  They load up their bags with ones they like and I grab some more.  Then they each choose one DVD to checkout.  Tessa chose a Barbie Christmas Carol movie (only because we couldn't find a single Blue's Clues or Dora) and Spencer chose a Pokemon, which he just recently learned about.  Then we go over to the little kid couches and the kids take turns having me read them a book.  All the Dora, Blue's Clues, Princess, and Barbie books for Tessa.  Spencer is into Transformers, Batman, Spiderman, Marvel Heroes, Pokemon, Scooby-Doo, Sponge Bob, and Star Wars books.  And we read Clara a couple of the lift-the-flap or touchy-feely books.  Each time we go varies with how long we stay, but this time we read books for about 45 minutes before heading home.  The kids get to choose however many books their age is (Spencer-6, Tessa-3) and they each choose one for Clara.  Then I choose about 10 to read to the kids or have Spencer read to me.  I keep meaning to decrease the number we get and go more often to avoid the late fines, but I still average $3 a month in late fines.

Usually when we get back from the library I let the kids watch their movie, but this time I made them clean the toy room first so they didn't get in much movie time before dinner.  There wasn't too much fussing so it must have been a fun Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment