Saturday, May 14, 2011

A beautiful, sunny day with a picnic, books and motocross.

I am sooooooo loving the sunny days!  And so are my kids.  Our library books were due and I like to make the library trips extra exciting for my kids so they will associate fun and excitement with the library as long as possible.  With the beautiful weather, I decided we'd have a picnic at the library before going inside.  I brough the kids lunchables (which we rarely eat so it's a special treat for them) and Kool-Aid squeezers.  We went to Sandy library and set up a blanket just to the South side of the library on the grass under a nice tree.  Clara had a blast crawling around and trying to steal the other kids' food and drinks, despite the food I brought for her.  As soon as they were done eating the kids took off running all over the place.  There's a field to the South of the library that they had fun running through.  They also found a bunch of "blowing flowers", which are dried up dandelions, and made a bunch of wishes as they blew the seeds all over.  My favorite wish of the day was when Spencer said, "I wish the world was made of Trix yogurt and brussel sprouts!"  Yes, that's my boy.

After I put the garbage and blanket back in the car, we headed inside to return our books and use the restroom before continuing on to the kids section.  Once there my kids ran right to the Dora and superhero books while I meandered around finding some better stories for my kids.  Then we sat around and read a few books on the floor before choosing which books and movies to bring home this time.  When we got home I put Clara down for a nap and let the older kids watch a movie they got from the library while I laid on the couch with the breeze blowing in through the windows and actually read a book.  It was an easy read and I finished the book in about 3 hours, which I actually had fairly uninterrupted, before Brodie was on the border of exploding.  Sweet husband managed to be patient enough to let me finish.

We stopped at yummy Cafe Rio for dinner where we got the kids quesadillas, rice, and black beans.  Clara is also a fan of black beans and I also got her a tortilla to eat.  We usually go for the salads, but this time Brodie got the beef burrito enchilada style and I went with the salmon tacos.  You can never go wrong at Cafe Rio!  Then we headed out to Rocky Mountain Raceway for some Motocross.

Now I have spent plenty of time at Rocky Mountain Raceway and I'm embarrassed to say I never knew they had a separate motocross area on the East side of the parking lot.  I assumed they would be covering the oval track with dirt and racing there.  Now I realize that was dumb of me to think with the expense of setting up the dirt tracks just to tear it down at the end of the night.  In any case, that's what I had in mind.  We have the Seven Peaks Pass of All Passes that included a couple Motocross Races and I like my kids to experience a lot of different things, so we went.  I brought sunblock, blankets, jackets, and the diaper bag.  I remember they didn't allow outside water and we always tried our best to hide water bottles so I managed to get a couple hidden in my diaper bag, that they didn't see as they searched it.  But I saw someone else coming in carrying a water bottle and the lady just had her remove the label so I'm wondering if they will now allow outside water in or if she just made an exception?  I'll find out for sure next time.

When we got inside the motocross area there were only 2 sections of bleachers that were completely full.  There were as many people standing around as there were sitting down.  And I was carrying my 11 month old baby, diaper bag, blankets, and jackets.  And the kids wanted me to lift them up to see.  I was a bit disappointed.  We squeezed the two older kids to an opening at the fence and I put the blankets on the ground for them to sit on.  I ended up sitting behind them on the dirt with Clara for most of the time.  We could only see a few parts of the track from the ground, but it was enough for the kids.  Over my 32 years of watching races I've learned they are much for fun and exciting if you know something of the drivers/racers or if you at least choose someone to cheer for.  I didn't have those so it wasn't that exciting.  The kids on little dirt bikes were cute and Tessa was excited to see a couple of girls racing.  Clara was squirmy as all can be and dropped her toys a few times in the dirt, but she's a 3rd child so I didn't really care.  When the mosquitoes came out I changed Clara into pajamas and put jackets on the older kids.  After about an hour and a half of being there the kids had had enough and so had I so we left.

We experienced something different and spent the nice evening outside together as a family, but the next time I go to Rocky Mountain Raceway will be for the oval track.  And you can bet I'll be there this summer.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good mother! You and Brodie are doing the right things with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! Your kids turned out awesome, so I take that as quite a compliment!

    ReplyDelete