Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spencer's first day of 1st grade

My boy is officially in 1st grade.  He and I both survived the first day of him being away all day long.

Last night for Family Home Evening we went over how to behave in class (being quiet and listening to teachers, doing what the teachers ask, raising hands, etc), how to treat classmates (being nice, playing with everyone, sharing, not calling people mean names, etc.), and about stranger danger (not talking to strangers, not going anywhere with strangers even if they say they are someone of authority, etc.).  We also talked about the Priesthood and how Daddy could give them a blessing to help them not be afraid, make new friends, learn the Chinese language quickly, and anything else they are worried about.  We then asked them each what they would want Daddy to bless them for and then Brodie gave them each a Father's Blessing.

Spencer is a lot like me in that he does better with routine, knowing what to expect.  So I typed up a schedule for him so he wouldn't get all upset and cry when I told him he couldn't play on the computer or watch a show when he wanted to.  This morning I had my alarm set for 6:40 so I could hit snooze a couple times.  As I was hitting snooze the first time, I heard the downstairs toilet flush and knew he was up.  The second time my alarm went off I turned it off and came downstairs to see him sitting on his bed staring at his alarm clock.  He used to get up and turn on the TV when he woke up but once a couple years ago I woke up at 4 am and heard the TV on.  We then bought him a digital clock and told him he had to stay in his bed until 7:00.  This morning I told him he could come out even though it wasn't quite 7.  I sent him up to take a shower while I started cooking the Monkey Bread Rolls he had requested for breakfast.  After he was showered and dressed Spencer ate a yogurt while I finished the rolls, scrambled eggs, sliced bananas, and orange juice.  Then I had to wake up the girls who usually sleep in until closer to 8.  After breakfast I helped Tessa get ready for her school.  Brodie had to be to work early this morning so I left with all 3 kids at 8:15.  After waiting in the long line for drop offs I drove away and said a prayer as I left my little boy in the midst of a bunch of people I didn't know 3 minutes before the teachers were supposed to come and let the kids in.

I hurried to from Cottonwood Heights out to Draper and had Tessa to school 15 minutes past her drop off window.  That's what happens when I enroll my kids in schools 25 minutes away from each other that have the same drop off time windows.  By the time I got home I had less than 2 hours before I needed to go and pick Tessa up.  After lunch Tessa, Clara and I played baby dolls in Tessa's room.  Then we played fixing each others' hair.  Then we played dress up.
When I put Clara down for a nap Tessa wanted me to play Wii with her.  So we played a few rounds of Just Dance Kids.  She was so excited to have the number 1 remote and choose the dances.  Usually Spencer takes control whenever they play anything.  I love my girls and it's fun to play with them.  I'm also glad Tessa got to play what she wanted, how she wanted.  But I'm not used to so much girly play so I finally put a TV show on and had a half an hour break.

Picking up Spencer was even more difficult than dropping him off.  It would probably be quicker to park down the street and walk all the kids up to the school and walk back to the car than to sit in the line.  He had a lot of fun.  He couldn't tell me much other than that his English teacher read them a book and had them write from 0-9.  He learned the Mandarin word for zero, but forgot it.  He said he sat by a girl from his class at luch, but didn't know her name and didn't talk to her because he was too hungry.  I don't understand why 1st grade has the LAST lunch of the day???  He said a teacher told the kids they had to be done with lunch and go out to recess.  He did tell me a lot about how much fun recess was.  So as I was unpacking his lunchbox I was certain it would be empty.  I had asked him what he wanted for lunch and he said "A Healthy Lunchable".  So I had put some Wheatable crackers, lunch meat, and cheddar cheese that I cut into cute little shapes in his box.  I also sent a bag of grapes, a Go-gurt, and water in his thermos.  When I opened his lunch his Go-gurt and 4 out of the 8 little cheese shapes were gone.  He said he also ate a couple of the crackers.  That was it.  His water was also still full.  He told me he was starving so I gave him the rest of his lunch and he scarfed it down.  I've been trying to figure out why he didn't eat much when he was so starving.  He claims he didn't talk with people during lunch, didn't wait in the cafeteria food line, and said he was starving.  So I've packed him a PB&J, some chips, and some carrots for tomorrow.  I told him to eat the sandwich first, the chips last, and that if he doesn't have time for the chips to bring them home and he can eat them after school.  We'll see how it goes.  In any case, he had fun and is excited for school tomorrow.

After having a rice krispy snack and telling me about school I told him he could have a 1/2 hour break to do whatever he wanted.  He wanted to watch a TV show.  Then I told him it was homework time.  But he didn't have any.  Ha, ha he knows what that means.  So I handed him a prepared packet of worksheets I tore out of a Scholastic workbook and stapled together.  Then I had him read for 15 minutes.  Tessa also wanted to do homework so we worked on letters P-T.  I think it was too much for her so next time maybe I'll just do one paper with her.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I remember those days! Now Sara is in middle school and Brandon is in 3rd grade. I look forward to the first day of school so I can spend some one-on-one time with Sophie- and that wonderful day was today!

    ReplyDelete