Monday, October 24, 2011

The Wild West at Veterans Memorial Park

I wanted to take the kids to see the witches at Gardner Historical Village on Friday but it was INSANE.  Instead I met up with my sister and her kids at Veterans Memorial Park off of Redwood Road and 7800 South in West Jordan.  We met up at the Wild West playground (there are a few playground here and this one is just at the entrance/exit off of Redwood Road).  My kids and I have never been out here before and I'm so glad we made it.  As much as my kids love playgrounds, I enjoy finding the unique ones.  We'll definitely be coming back here again.
This was a mainly wood type playground with tons of little buildings they could go in and most had the platforms kids could climb up on and slides going down.  There was a little climbing wall and a rope type bridge.

There were 2 different swing sets.  The one in the older kids section had a couple regular swings, one of the large red ones for disabled kids, and a tire swing that the 3 girls had a blast on.  (Janelle--I have one where you can't see Tessa but is way cute of your girls' faces that I'll send you)
This playground was sort of split into 2.  One said it was for kids ages 2-5.  The other said for kids 5-12.  The little one had the baby swings and another one of the special red ones.  This side had smaller structures and a couple small slides.  Clara LOVED the slides and the swings and got mad if we left either of these.
The only problem with a fun playground that is so large is that it is so large.  It was fully fenced--only 2 ways in and out.  But you couldn't see one entrance from the other.  And from plenty of places you couldn't see either entrance.  And the fences were really low and kids were going between and over the fences continually.  Not to mention all the places someone could hide or get lost within the structures.  Yes, I'm a bit paranoid so my heart was racing most of the time we were here as I was having a hard time keeping my eyes on all 3 of my kids.  I was glad my sisters' kids were also there cuz that gave us 2 adults and with the 5 kids it was more likely that there were always at least 2 of them together.

Later that night my sister brought her girls over while she went to the Witch-a-Palooza Show.  Spencer and Bailee took a bunch of science books out back and were reading them and exploring the back yard.  Tessa and Afton were looking through all their collections of Dora books while sitting in the backyard and Clara had fun just getting on and off her chair by all the big kids.  Then the kids collected some leaves and grass and asked if they could make a picture with them so I got some paper and glue and let them have at it.  Then my mom came and picked up the girls to take them back to their place for bed while I put mine down here.  As Spencer was reading Chocolate Covered Ants to me I heard the phone ring and realized with panic that I had never given my mom the key to my sister's place.  So I drove 25 minutes out there where she was reading them bedtime stories on their stairs.  I used to think it was funny that my mom would leave half-drunk cans of Diet Coke in the most random places and never be able to remember where she had left them.  I think losing your mind is one of those involuntary sacrifices you make when you become a mother.

1 comment:

  1. My kids and mom love this park! My mom calls it cowboy park and every time we visit it is on the list of things to do (if it's warm enough). In fact we were just there this weekend and since the weather is still so nice we went to let the kids play for a bit.

    ReplyDelete