Friday, March 18, 2011

Chickens, a movie, and seeds!

Day number 34 of no school for Spencer.  So we had "mommy school".  We always have either recess or P.E. (depending on the weather) but today we went on a field trip across the street.  Our neighbors are out of town so we are taking care of their 3 chickens for them for a few days.  Each day we go over there for about 30 minutes to let the chickens run around the yard while the kids play on the swing, slide, and trampoline they have.  Then I change their water, give them some food, and retrieve the eggs.  Clara is the most amused by the chickens, but Spencer and Tessa love petting Scrambled.  I told them about hens and roosters and about eating eggs and stuff like that to make it more educational today.
 
After school we hurried and cleaned the T.V. room and front room before lunch so we could make it to our movie.  I let them pass the bedrooms and play room today.  I think we are the only family who hasn't seen Tangled and it is at the dollar theaters so that's where we went.  I still call it the dollar theater even though it's more like $2.  However, the first showing of each show each day is only $1 a person.  So it only cost us $3 to go to a 1:00 movie.  However, the rest of our district was out of school today as well and I don't think there was an empty seat in the whole theater.  I loved the movie! 

We are not a big movie going family.  I just can't justify spending $30 to see a movie, so we wait and every couple of months have a pizza movie night and rent a kids movie from redbox.  I was thinking it would be fun to go to the dollar theater to see movies, but after today I don't think that will be a regular occurrence.  Tessa wasn't used to sitting in one seat for so long and was anxious for the movie to be done.  Spencer had to use the restroom 10 minutes to the end and I made him hold it, which he continually complained about.  And the worst part was my very well behaved, happy baby.  She wasn't so well behaved and happy.  I spent a good deal of the time standing in the aisle with her while the kids sat alone in the middle of the row.  She wasn't content with any toy I gave her, she lost both binkis I had, and dropped the water bottle which happened to be the only thing I found that actually entertained her.  It was over her nap time, but she's usually such a good baby that I didn't think it would be an issue.  It apparently was.

After the movie we did our homework from "mommy school".  Brodie was so sweet to make dinner tonight and when dinner was done we started planting our vegetable seeds.  We're a little late this year, so we'll see what happens.  The kids have seen the Danonino commercials so we went ahead and let them plant the chives that came with the yogurt in the empty yogurt container.  Then we planted some seeds for my favorite herbs, tomatoes, kohlrabi, and pumpkins for the kids' sake.  We put them in foil lasagna pans on top of a heating pad in the "nursery".  The kids always enjoy watching them sprout and grow.  They get a little disappointed when they haven't popped up the next day or the next and so on.  But once they poke their little heads and start growing the kids love checking on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment