Friday, March 18, 2011

Hockey

There was no school on Friday, yet again.  As the district seems to take so many days off school, I decided we would have "mommy school" on all these days.  This made day number 33.  We spent about 3 hours having school, along with about 1 hour of homework.  And with me working during tax season, I'm not very good about getting the kids to keep the house clean during the week.  I have Fridays off so I make the kids clean their rooms and all the places they play before we can do our Friday fun activity.  This past Friday took quite a while to clean.  After school, homework, and cleaning there wasn't much time left other than feeding and taking care of all of us so it was a good thing we had already decided on an evening activity.

We finally got out of the house around 5:00 and headed to Raging Waters to redeem our Pass of All Passes.  Apparently quite a few other people had the same idea to redeem their pass, go to dinner, and make it to the hockey game.  Forty-five minutes after arriving, we were off again.  We were just able to stop quickly at In-N-Out to grab dinner before heading to the Maverik Center for the Grizzlie's game.

Spencer just finished learning about hockey in his Little Gym Sports Skills class and has been eager to attend an actual hockey game.  I think he was a bit disappointed at first.  We sat down and he didn't really know what was going on.  I used to think hockey was quite boring myself.  Then I had a guy explain it to me and I watched an adult league game where there was more playing than fighting going on and I decided it wasn't that bad.  So after Spencer started catching on to what was going on and what team to cheer for he started to enjoy himself.  He did wonder why the guys kept fighting and getting put in time out.  At first Tessa was so excited to be somewhere so different and full of energy.  She loved dancing to the music and watching the screen to see if they would put her on it.  Then the Grizzlies made a goal.  The crowd was loud and they blasted a loud horn or something that really scared her.  Near the end of the 2nd period the score was 3-2 for the Grizzlies and Tessa had had enough.  Between the loud noises and the fact that the game started at 7 and she is usually in bed between 7:30-8:00 she was whining and begging to go.  But Spencer had gotten into it and wanted to stay.  I had also taught Clara to clap, which she still loves to do.  Clara was having a blast, all smiles and giggles and having fun.  But it was time to nurse her and put her to sleep as well.  And a nursing cover wouldn't do much good with stadium seating!  So when the 2nd period ended we told Spencer it was over and we hurried out of there before the 3rd period started.


On our way home we stopped at Arctic Circle for shakes.  The kids were so excited to have their own shake (we usually share).  Tessa only ate the part overflowing from the cup and was done.  Spencer ate closer to 1/3 of his.  And that's why we usually just share.  But they had fun.

While I think hockey is kind of fun to watch, I'm not a big enough fan to think it's worth the full-price of tickets.  Hey, I'm not even sure it was worth the $6 to park while using the Pass of All Passes.  I'm trying to decide if we should go to another one in April with our pass or not.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment