Friday, November 18, 2011

Allowance, snow, potatoes, and a repeat trip to the Aquarium

Okay, so I've been bad at this lately.  So this one is for the past two weeks, then I'll post today's Friday Fun day.

Two weeks ago Spencer didn't have school on Friday.  We had "mommy school" instead.  By then I decided whatever we were going to do would be after lunch so we wouldn't have to buy anything to eat.  As I was trying to think of something fun, cheap, and that we hadn't done recently I realized it had been a while since the kids had emptied their piggy banks.  Each day the kids each get a quarter at the end of the day if I feel they've been pretty good that day.  Of course I forget this more often than I remember.  And my kids rarely remind me.  So I probably only get one out of three.  Occasionally I feel guilty and slip a few extra quarters into their banks.  Usually we go spend it when they are around $10.  But Spencer also had $3 from the tooth fairy for losing his first 3 teeth.  We counted their money, took out tithing, and then put the rest in Ziploc bags and headed to Toys R Us. 

We frequently shop at Walmart and even a bit at Target so the kids know all the toys in those stores.  But Toys R Us is a special occasion for the kids.  Seriously--they get to go maybe 5 or 6 times a year to buy a toy with their saved money and that's it.  So we walked through just about every single aisle in the store and carried around a few items that the kids liked until they found something better.  Clara somehow managed to keep finding the little poppers left around and would run to them and push them around until I took them away and made her cry.  At the end of it Tessa HAD to have a Little Miss Muffin toy (the wonderful work of commercials) and Spencer got a Finn McMissile that changes colors in hot/cold water and another small Ninjago set (he is really into this and so far only has the set he got in Legoland).  The kids were VERY happy with their choices and have had a lot of fun with them over the last couple of weeks.

As Toys R Us is basically across the street from Fashion Place Mall, I headed over there next.  I try to go to the malls as minimally as possible.  I do not like shopping in stores--but I do like to do it online!  I especially dislike malls.  However, I had recently (about 45 days prior) bought a couple bras at Dillards and one of them had the wire poke through and it kept poking me.  I know they only take returns for 30 days but I felt a store like Dillards should be able to do something for me with a defective $40 bra after 45 days.  I was wrong.  The girl at the counter was very friendly and told me she was sure they would exchange it but she had to check with her manager.  The manager very coldly told me they couldn't do anything once it had been worn.  Period.  Last time I purchase a bra, or probably anything, from Dillards.  I was surprised how busy the mall was and Christmas was amost 2 months away still!

The next day (Saturday) we woke up to about 8" of snow.  And Brodie had to work this day.  The kids kept begging to go play in the snow, but I had just ordered them boots online the day before so they didn't have any.  After lunch I realized I was going to have to shovel the drive way as Brodie wasn't sure how long he'd be working.  I let Tessa wear some boots my sister passed down, although they were much too big and kept falling off her feet.  I let Spencer just wear his regular shoes.  Other than that they were quite bundled up.  Luckily the wonderful world of Ebay (wonderful to me in more than one way...) had some boots and a snowsuit small enough that I bought when Tessa was this age so I could get Clara out.  I let the kids play in the front yard snow while I shoveled the driveway.
When I first set Clara down she just kind of froze--uncertain of what she was supposed to be doing.  Or maybe she was trying to figure out how to move all bundled up.
She cautiously walked through the snow and asked me to lift her up ("Bup!?!") but I was busy shoveling the drive way.  Then the kids asked me for toys to play in the snow so I set the shovel down and pulled out the snow toys.  Okay so the stores really sale them as "Beach toys" but we live in Utah.  We get a lot more use out of these as "Snow toys".  While I was in the garage I decided to pull out Clara's car so she would feel more comfortable.  She sat in it for a while watching the other kids before she finally decided she must be missing out on a lot of fun and she dove off the car landing the only uncovered part of her in the snow--her face.  She cried so I dropped the shovel and brushed off her face and hugged her for a while.  Then I set her down and she proceeded to have fun shoveling and playing in the snow with her siblings.  Spencer worked on a snow tower and Tessa just shoveled and dumped snow.
When I finished shoveling the driveway I pulled out the little saucer sled and pushed the kids in it down the slight incline in our front yard.  They loved this, especially Clara.  After being in the snow about an hour Brodie came home and I decided to get Clara in and down for a nap.  But I don't let the kids stay in the front yard if I'm not out there so I had them move to the backyard.  I also pulled out the full sled and Spencer pulled Tessa around the flat backyard for a while.  When he decided he was done Tessa came in crying so Brodie went out and pulled her around a couple more times.  Then they kept playing for about another hour.  When they finally came in I had them change socks and shoes as Spencer's were a bit wet and cold.  I also made them some hot chocolate. 

Brodie pulled in the Halloween decorations that I hadn't gotten around to pulling in yet and took the pumpkins to the compost pile in the back.  I had bought the face pieces for the kids and Brodie had left those on the table.  Spencer asked what we were going to do with the pieces now and I smiled and said, "I have an idea..." and Spencer said, "Put them on real potatoes like a real potato head?"  I was torn here between feeling pride in my son for thinking the exact same thing I was thinking or feeling quite immature myself for thinking the exact same thing a 6-year old was thinking.  But we ran downstairs and grabbed a few potatoes.  All three kids had a blast!  They kept trading pieces and re-arranging their potato heads and then running into the front room to show dad.  This continued to entertain the kids for at least half an hour.
Okay so then last week Spencer actually had school.  With Christmas coming I once again wanted to make sure we did something cheap.  And indoors as it was windy and cold.  I decided on the Living Planet Aquarium.  This is one place I actually have been a regular pass holder to for a few years.  It's quite close to our house, indoors (which being in Utah we have a lot of really hot and really cold days that I don't want to spend outside), educational, and fun.  And they keep growing.  Since we started going they have added on the Amazon section with caymans, pirhanas, little poisonous frogs, an Anaconda, and many more.  This exhibit is my kids favorite as the tanks and water creatures are so large and easy to see moving around.  They've also added penguins that are a lot of fun to watch swimming and diving in the water.  And they've added the Superhero exhibit.  The funny thing here is that the creatures they have are really quite boring except the gecko at the end.  However there are posted signs that say what their superpower is and this makes the educational part so much fun for the kids.  They've also changed a few exhibits over time.  Of course we love to watch the sharks and the large turtle in the shark tank.  The stingrays are fun when they're swimming around and let you touch them but this day they were just laying on the bottom not moving so the kids moved on.  Clara LOVES to watch the jellyfish and the large coral tank with the clown fish and all sorts of those type.  We were also very excited to see that they will have Sea Otters come January! 

We love the Living Planet Aquarium so much that we go there at least 4 times a year (which is more than any other place we visit throughout the year.  We usually get to the Zoo and the Thanksgiving Point Museum of Ancient Life and Classic Fun Center a couple times a year and other places usually are only visited once a year).  The regular price is $9 for an adult and $7 for a child.  An annual pass is $20 for an adult and $16 for a child.  And if you aren't sure about how much you'll like it they are letting everyone in FREE this coming Monday, November 28th.  And they occasionally have deals in the Happenings (Entertainment) Book or during the summer.

However, I saw something on their website about memberships only being valid through October of 2012 and then "the Sandy location" will be shut down for 6 months.  It also mentioned something about a new location.  Are they moving?  If so, where to?  Or are they making 2 locations seeings how they didn't say the Sandy location would be closed, just shut down for 6 months, and they are currently building the Sea Otter exhibit.  Anyone know the answer to this?

I didn't bring my camera as I have plenty of pictures here, but if you want to see some scroll back through my posts as I believe I have 2 prior posts regarding the Aquarium.  I'll bring my camera again when we go see the Otters.

2 comments:

  1. We live in Draper and it mentioned in our monthly Draper newspaper that they will be building a completely new building around 123rd near the freeway. But that's sadt hat they'll be closing it down for 6 months. Thanks for posting all the fun things to do in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Korey for this information! I'm excited that they will have a newer and hopefully bigger building. But I'm also sad it will be closed for a while and that it will be further away from my house.

    ReplyDelete