Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day and a birthday party at Boondocks!

I am not a big fan of pranks, or even of surprises.  So much so that I usually buy my own birthday and Christmas gifts from my husband.  However, my kids are so much fun that I knew they would get a kick out of the day.  Of course I didn't think about this until 10:30 last night so this is how the morning went:

Spencer woke up in a pretty, silky pink and and purple Fancy Nancy comforter.  He at first thought that was kind of silly.  If you've been following my blog you know he only had school 1 out of the 4 Fridays in March which explains why his first question while I was still in bed was, "Do I have school today?"  In the April Fool's mood I made a mistake and said, "No, it's Church Day.  April Fool's!"  I then followed him downstairs and he kept going down to the TV room and turned it on.  I said, "Spencer, you need to come and eat breakfast."  He replied, "No, I'm going to watch a show."  I said, "You need to eat so you can get to school."  And the tears came, "But you said I didn't have school!"  I knew at this point I had made a huge mistake as I reminded him I said April Fool's.  He was still crying as I pointed out the cupcake stand full of chocolate cupcakes with candles.  I lit one and put it in front of him and began singing "Happy Birthday."  He kept crying and getting mad at me saying "It's NOT my Birthday!"  So I blew out the candle and ate the cupcake which made him more upset.  He finally calmed down so I gave him a cupcake and told him we'd trick Tessa when she came down.  As if on cue, Tessa strolled down with her cute, mysterious face as she said, "Hey, there's a Superhero blanket on my bed?"  She's new to April Fool's day so I quickly expained it to her.  Then I lit her a candle and Spencer and I sang her Happy Birthday.  Her whole face was smiling.  Then we both said in unison, "April Fool's!"  And she laughed hysterically.  Now it was getting fun.

When the kids wanted cereal I opened the cupboard and asked which they wanted.  They both screamed, "Fruit Loops!"  When I poured from the box, Frosted Flakes came out and they laughed.  Then they chose Captain Crunch and Cinnamon Toast Crunch came out.  The next box had the Fruit Loops in it.  Then when Spencer went to get dressed he started laughing and said, "Mom I don't wear girl panties!"  And he threw all of Tessa's panties out of his room.  That made Tessa wonder what was in her drawers so she ran upstairs to see.  She started laughing and brought Spencer his underwear and told him she liked the octopus ones.  That was as far as my late night thoughts got me but it set them on the path.

After Spencer came home from school he couldn't stop his April Fool's jokes.  Of course his were at a kindergarten level such as telling me it was snowing while we were outside in the 60 degree sunshine or telling Tessa the fruit snacks she just ate were poison and she was going to die.  At least he was quick to always follow his jokes up with "April Fool's!" which would make Tessa laugh.  By lunch time Tessa was saying, "Ha, ha Spencer you so funny" after absolutely everything Spencer said, even when it wasn't a joke.  And Tessa followed up just about everything she said with "April First Day!"  But she never got the hang of actually tricking anyone,she just said that at the end of whatever she was saying.

Shortly after lunch we began our Friday clean up, which was enough of a downer to seem to make them lose the April Fool's magic.  After cleaning the front room and TV room I decided they needed to enjoy the beautiful weather so I sent them outside while I vacuumed and got some laundry done.  Then we tackled the toy room.  The cleaning combined with the break outside took longer than I had thought it would, so we headed out a little later than I originally planned.

My sweet little neice turned 5 today!  My sister decided to have her party at Boondocks in Kaysville, which was really sweet of her to make it closer to us Salt Lake City-ers as she lives up in Tremonton herself.  But the party started at 7 and was about half an hour away and my kids go to bed  between 7:30 and 8:00.  So we headed out early, stopped for dinner, and arrived at Boondocks just before 6.  Tessa is too short for most things there and we didn't have  alot of time so I just got them wristbands for the Kiddie Cove.  My youngest sister arrived about the same time with her two girls so the four kids had a blast playing in the Kiddie Cove.  It was a lot of fun and I know $3 isn't much, but it's too much for the Kiddie Cove.  It's not that much of a step up from a McDonald's playplace where $3 not only gets you unlimited play but a kid's meal with a toy as well.  And places like Classic and Jungle Jim's aren't too much more but include all sorts of rides or bouncy houses and slides as well for not much more money.  Luckily I had a Happenings Coupon for buy one get one free and it was worth $1.50 per kid.  Then we played a few arcade games but I also noticed $5 doesn't get near as many games at Boondocks as it does at Chuck E Cheese's or Jungle Jim's or Classic.  The other places are like 10 cents a game but here they are a minimum of 25 cents and some are up to $1.50!  Nonetheless my kids had fun playing the few games they did and redeeming their tickets for some useless choking hazards.  Most importantly they had a blast playing with their cousins.

We had already eaten but my sister got pizza for the party and my kids ended up eating a slice each as well as having some cake.  They had a lot of fun running around the room and the tables with each other.  I felt bad that as we were leaving (a little past 8) all the other cousins were just heading out to the bumper boats.  Spencer cried that we weren't going with them but it was already past their bedtime, Clara would need to nurse soon, and I was exhausted.  Thankfully Spencer didn't cry long and the car ride home was uneventful.  I was actually quite surprised with how well the kids did for the ride up and back.  We rarely drive more than 10 minutes away from our house and I didn't even hook up the DVD screens.  I am sure lucky to have such great kids!

And now I am wishing I was in bed but I'm waiting for the laundry cuz Tessa puked all over herself and her bed a little bit ago.  I cleaned her up and changed her sheets, but my past experiences tell me there is a very high likelihood I'll need to change them again tonight so I need to get them cleaned.  I'm hoping it's something she ate and that this won't spread to my other kids or the cousins they played with or the countless other children who were at Boondocks tonight.  But if it does.....so goes life.

Oh, and staying true to tradition Clara lost her favorite sippy cup at Boondocks tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment