Thursday, April 28, 2011

A really SWEET day!

I've wanted to take a tour of the Sweet Candy Factory for quite a while, but they don't offer tours on Fridays.  I thought last week during my "Mommy Camp Spring Break" would have been a perfect time, but they were booked so I scheduled for today.  My sister, Janelle, and her two girls came too.

We all had to wear hairnets, including Clara.  The kids were so dang cute in their hairnets that Janelle took a picture.  I'll have her send it to me so I can post it on here.  Clara actually did a pretty good job of keeping it on, only taking it off a couple times during the 40 minute tour.  They had us take off all jewelry, including wedding rings and my earrings, as well as leave all purses and hats at the front.  They also asked about Clara's binki.  With her losing streak I finally bought the clip to keep it attached to her, but she managed to take it off and drop it in the car before going in.  As such I decided it was best to pocket her binki for the tour.  She didn't mind, replacing it by sucking on her toes for 40 minutes.

It was interesting to see the process of candy making.  I couldn't believe how much sugar they go through in a couple of days!  I also didn't know it took 7 days to make a jelly bean!  And Spencer's good nose quickly caught on to the room that makes cinnamon bears and the kitchen that dips chocolate items.  The 5 kids were very well behaved, although Tessa kept requesting I carry her.  She also tried to hold Spencer's hand, which they do on a very regular basis, but today he had Bailee's hand and pushed sweet little Tessa away.  I felt so bad for her and carried her more than I would have otherwise.

And there were samples.  We were given jelly beans before they got their hard sugary coating.  At the end we were given plenty of taffy as well as rock candy, jelly sticks, chocolate covered candies, and jelly beans.  Then there was the store with all the different flavors to choose from.  They make like 90 different flavors!  So, despite my kids having full Easter baskets at home still, and their bellies already being full of samples, I let each kid take a bag and put 12 different taffies in it to try.  Spencer was so excited for all the flavors!  Tessa just randomly grabbed and put in her bag.  I was also excited for all the flavors and bought quite a large bag!  After a very thorough tasting throughout the night I have to say my favorite five are:  Huckleberry, Butter Popcorn, Pineapple, Coconut, and Watermelon.  Spencer's favorites were Butter Popcorn, Cotton Candy, and Bubblegum.  They were all very good, intense flavors.  I also bought a container of grapefruit sours which are good, but would be better if they were a little more sour.

It was a fun tour, the taffy is very yummy, and it was FREE!  (except all the candy I bought at the store at the end)  If you want to take a tour just request a reservation online or by phone at least a couple days in advance.  And be sure to buy some of the yummy taffy at the end!  Their website is http://www.sweetcandy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment