Friday, April 8, 2011

Birthdays and BK

So tomorrow is Brodie's birthday.  Unluckily his birthday is in the rush of the end of tax season so he usually spends it working then coming home to get dinner for the kids and putting them to bed.  I usually buy something for him as well as buying him a cake (I know this comes as a huge shock to those who know me and this is the only time I ever buy a cake rather than make one).  I love my husband very much and feel bad that I don't really show it on his birthday so I wanted to make a little more of an effort this year.  Also, whenever I ask him what he wants for his birthday, Christmas, Fathers' Day, etc. he usually responds with, "We don't have any money" so I didn't even bother asking him this year.

I made an appointment for the carpets to be cleaned today, as Brodie is a bit of a clean freak and our carpets are pretty bad.  Because of this I passed up on some work I should have been doing and had the kids help me clean the house yesterday.  I also baked Brodie's favorite chocolate cake yesterday.  This morning after Brodie took Spencer to school I hurried and moved everything except the big furniture out of the front room and TV room and vacuumed them.  Today was short day where Spencer basically goes to school to say the Pledge of Allegiance and then comes home so I didn't have much time to shower after getting the rooms ready.  Scott's Carpet Care did an awesome job of cleaning the carpets while I played with the kiddos down in the playroom.  Spencer wanted to watch The Lion King while we played.  Which makes me wonder why Disney movies have a recurring theme of a dead parent.  Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Bambi, and Nemo all have lost their mothers.  Simba and Tiana lose their fathers.  Cinderella, Snow White, Tarzan, and Mowgli lost both parents.  Even Aurora and Rapunzel don't know who their parents really are until they are all grown up.  Okay off subject here.

After the carpets were cleaned I still had a full day so I gave in to Spencer's request for McDonald's as their new toys came out today.  First I cut the cake I made in half and filled it with Brodie's favorite chocolate ice cream.  I didn't have any whipping cream so I just put it in the freezer like this for now.  Anyhow, I'm sick of McDonald's.  The last time we went the kids didn't even finish their meals or want to play at the Playplace.  So I decided we'd at least go to a different McDonald's with a playplace they haven't been to before, but I didn't want to drive too far out of the way.  We passed a Burger King and I offered that as an option.  Spencer said, "Ya!  We haven't been there before and they have Hop toys!"  Seriously I think that kid could tell you what toy is in any fast food chain's kids' meals.  So we went there.  Positives:  We had the Playplace to ourselves and the kids played for like 45 minutes because it was new and different.  They had a blast!  Also, I thought the chicken nuggets had better flavor than McDonald's and I enjoyed my Tendergrill sandwich much more than McDonald's food for adults.  Also the kids loved the crowns.  Negatives:  It is much more expensive than McDonald's.  The nugget kids meal was $3.49 (McD's is currently $2.99) and the mac'n cheese they advertise was even more.  Then they charged $.20 to upgrade the drink to milk.  And another $.59 charge to upgrade the fries to apples.  McDonald's let's you get milk and apples at no extra cost.  Their chicken nuggets had more flavor, but the breading had a horrible dry, stale texture.  And their toys aren't near as cool.  They're made cheaper and don't do the cool things McDonald's toys usually do.  But it was Friday Fun Day and the kids had fun.

We then stopped at Kohl's to get daddy birthday presents from the kids and then over to Costco where I made it out without even having to sign the credit card receipt (meaning it was under $100).  I pretty much just bought fruit and veggies cuz I love the quality and price here.  And I had to fill up with gas which I hate doing these days.

We got home with enough time for the kids to show dad their toys and play for a bit while I ran to Wal-Mart quickly and then put together a butterfly craft kit for my neice's birthday.  We dropped off Spencer and Tessa and then took Clara with us to dinner.  It was different just having one little baby.  We had a Groupon deal for Wild Rose, which is from the owners of Tiburon and Epic but out at the District.  It was really good, but I still prefer Tiburon.  Mmm thinking of their halibut in a carrot butter reduction and their chipotle seared scallops....... but tonight's dinner was very good as well.  Clara was pretty well behaved and loved gumming away on a piece of bread.  Spencer and Tessa had a blast decorating their guitars and eating cake and hitting the pinata.  They talked and sang in their balloon microphones all the way home!

That's about it since I have to make some ganache to cover the cake I made and be up in a few hours to attend my nephew's baptism before hurrying back for a full day of work.  Hopefully today made up in advance for Brodie having to take care of the kids all day tomorrow for his birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment