Friday, June 15, 2012

Hogle Zoo to see Rocky Shores

I've been so excited about Rocky Shores that this year I got a season pass.  I usually try to avoid season passes because there are so many fun things to do around here that I don't usually visit the same place more than once a year anyhow.

We had a blast at Hogle Zoo.  The kids love seeing the animals and it's great to be outside walking around.  We saw the usual monkeys, elephants, giraffes, stinky animals (small animals and reptiles inside a building), tigers and other wildcats, rhinos, camels, and a few others.  Then we saw Rocky Shores.  We were most excited for the polar bear.  The kids were a bit surprised when he wasn't walking around on ice.  We had fun watching him for aboutr 20 minutes.  He would push off the window and back float across the water.  Then he would dive down and swim back towards the window.  Repeat and repeat.  We were mesmerized watching this routine.
We also saw the river otters, seals, and sea lions.

And in the Rocky Shores they have grizzly bears.  They were out swimming and laying on the rocks when we were there.  They were very cute and fun to watch but I sure hope I never run into one outside of the zoo.
And of course the kids' very favorite part of the zoo are the carousel and train rides and the playground.  As they are ripping out this playground I made sure to take a few pictures of our favorite play items in hopes they will keep them or at least be sure to make fun themed play structures in the new playground.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    I work at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, MI. I'm working on a project and was wondering if I could have your permission to use your spider web picture. If you have any questions about it, you can email me at skalemkiewicz@binderparkzoo.org. I hope to be hearing from you soon!

    ReplyDelete